Submitting to a local church:
- Identifies us with Christ.
- Distinguishes us from the world.
- Guides us into the righteousness of Christ by presenting a standard of personal and corporate righteousness.
- Acts as a witness to non-Christians.
- Glorifies God and enables us to enjoy his glory.
- Identifies us with Christ’s people.
- Assists us in living the Christian life through the accountability of brothers and sisters in the faith.
- Makes us responsible for specific believers.
- Protects us from the world, the flesh, and the Devil.
–Jonathan Leeman, The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love (p. 267).